When it comes to writing essays in English, coming up with a good introduction and conclusion can be challenging. However, there are several tried and true methods for crafting engaging, effective opening and closing paragraphs that work across a wide range of English essays.
1. Start with a quote or an interesting fact related to your topic. For example, if you’re writing about climate change, you could start with a quote from a prominent climate scientist or a startling statistic about the rise in global temperatures.
2. Use a rhetorical question to engage your reader. This can be a great way to get your reader thinking about your topic and interested in what you have to say. For example, you could ask, “Have you ever considered the impact of your daily choices on the environment?”
3. Begin with a brief anecdote or personal story that sets the scene for your essay. This can help to establish a connection with your reader and make your writing more relatable. For instance, if you’re writing about overcoming a challenge, you could start with a brief story of a time when you faced adversity.
1. Summarize your main points in a clear and concise way. This is a great way to reinforce your key arguments and ensure that your reader understands your main ideas.
2. End with a call to action or a thought-provoking question. This can leave your reader thinking about your topic long after they’ve finished reading your essay. For example, you could ask, “What kind of world do we want to leave for future generations?”
3. Finish with a poignant or inspiring quote that relates to your topic. This can be a powerful way to leave a lasting impression on your reader and leave them feeling motivated to take action.
Whether you’re writing an academic essay, a personal statement, or a blog post, crafting an effective opening and closing paragraph is essential for engaging your reader and leaving a lasting impression. By using some of these tried and true methods, you can craft powerful and effective introductions and conclusions that work across a wide range of topics and essay types.